Condition Surveys

Why have a survey?

Buying a property is a large commitment and it is therefore important to find out about its condition. There are often defects in a property, which are not always obvious.

Who can carry out a survey?

A survey should be carried out by a Chartered Surveyor who is a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), in which case he or she will have the letters MRICS or FRICS after his or her name.

The RICS ensures that all its members maintain their professional standards. All our survey reports are carried out by fully qualified Chartered Surveyors.

What type of Survey should I have?
We usually recommend the Talbots Homebuyers Survey. This is a specially developed survey, which will enable you to make an informed decision as to whether you should or should not proceed with your purchase.

It is a structural survey that will cover virtually every aspect of the property, including structural condition (subsidence, settlement, heave, foundation failure, cavity wall tie failure etc.), timber defects (woodworm, dry rot, wet rot, etc.), damp problems (rising, penetrating, condensation, etc.), insulation, the exterior (roof, chimneys, gutters, downpipes, walls, windows etc.), the interior roof space – if applicable, ceilings, floors, walls, fireplaces, joinery, decorations, etc., services (electrics, gas, plumbing, heating, smoke alarms, drainage, etc. - within the limits of our expertise), any relevant outbuildings, grounds, boundaries, etc. and valuation advice.

The Talbots Homebuyers Survey is a comprehensive report and is in fact more detailed than most equivalent reports offered by other Surveyors.

We also offer the Talbots Building Survey, which basically covers the same things, although the report is considerably longer. We usually recommend this for a very old property or one of unusual construction or design. The Building Survey is a lot more expensive than our Homebuyers Survey.

On occasion, it may be appropriate to commission an Economy Survey. This is a much more basic report, with much less time spent at the property.

We will be happy to advise you which survey option is best for your circumstances. In addition, we can send you sample reports to help you decide.

How much does a survey cost?

Because of the huge diversity of properties, you will need to contact us to get an accurate quotation.

How long does the process take?

We can usually inspect within 7 days. Our reports are usually dispatched within 24 hours of inspection.

How do I start the process?

You can instruct us by e mail or over the telephone.

Please call the office on 020 8906 1122 and speak to Tina Cohen (Survey Practice Manager) or James Cohen BSc (Hons) FRICS (Head Condition Surveyor). Alternatively you can contact them by e-mail;

How do I pay for the survey?

An invoice will be sent with the report. The preferred means of payment is Credit/Debit Card or by Bank Transfer (the account details will be on the invoice). You can also pay by cheque.

What if I have a question about the survey?

Our Chartered Surveyors are usually at the end of a telephone. We are always happy to answer your questions!